Today, my company took some new headshots to update our website and social channels. Much needed, as we needed something cohesive and refreshed. This got me thinking…everyone needs an updated professional headshot and needs one fairly often. Headshots are a great way to stay current and maximize your social media. Plus it was a fun excuse to go get a blowout and head downtown for a few hours this afternoon to break up the work week!
Tips on Getting Your Headshots Made
Not all companies fork over time and money to get new headshots. And some do bad “corporate” shots. Think this guy. If that’s the case and your personal brand is essential to you, it’s time to take matters into your own hands. Grab a friend with a photographer’s eye and head to either a fun location (for example, outside in your city) or some places even have content studios you can rent. These are popping up more and more.
Better yet, if you have the funds, hire someone! Local photographers in every city are making headshots available, and the prices aren’t super crazy. And think of it as an investment – this is going on your social channels and website.
Tips on Taking a Good Headshot
Sometimes having your photo taken is pretty awkward. But if you have a good photographer, they will make you feel comfortable and guide you along the way. Here are some other things to keep in mind:
- Bring a friend to be your hype person and help tame your flyaways or suggest a different smile or pose
- Practice ahead of time to see what poses/smiles look best on you. Take a few photos on your own phone to see
- Wear something that’s you – don’t try to wear a trend or a suit if it’s not your style
- Keep accessories simple and colors toned down (but again, if that’s not you, then style it up!)
- Look at clothing and pose inspiration on Pinterest
- Make sure you know if it’s waist up or full body so you can plan your clothes and pose accordingly
- Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously!
Tips on Maximizing Your Headshot Use
Now that you’ve got the photos back, use them!
Here are some of mine from the past several years. I use them here on this blog, for social profile pictures, and then for actual posts. For example, if I am promoting a blog post on Instagram, I can use one of them. Other ideas: if you want to update LinkedIn with a “career news” post, this puts a better face to your name. And like I did, change it up with some cool background colors.
Getting an updated professional headshot is a simple way to build up your own personal brand and keep the content coming.