According to Tweet Deck, September 1 marks 365 days of tweeting for me. So, what better way to celebrate than to kick-off my blog one year later?! (View the “About” section for a little bit more about what this blog will entail.)
So, what have I learned about Twitter one year later? A LOT.
First of all, I used to think tweeting about what I was working on for a client, i.e. “Researching new systems in HVAC,” would automatically spark a journalist’s interest and they’d contact me. Yeah, no one really cares that much.
Another thing – I used to get frustrated no one talked to me. Then I realized I need to talk to people first before they talk to me. I tell people now that not engaging the right way on Twitter is the equivalent of walking into a party and sporadically shouting about how great you are. I don’t know about you but I would not be trying to hang out with that person at that party!
So, what else have I learned?
- There is more than one Horny Kitty…and she will follow you.
- I have no shame in unfollowing people that don’t tweet anything of relevance to me.
- Twitter comes second to work. Must remember that when my ADD kicks in.
- Never say on Twitter what you wouldn’t say in real life.
- Never underestimate an opportunity to TwitPic.
- Don’t change your Twitter avatar too much. You will confuse others.
- Family and friends who don’t tweet will never understand, especially when your dad BBMs you “I’m sitting on the patio.”
- @adamkmiec is the only person you need in the Twittersphere.
And now….some past things I’ve tweeted that I like:
Oh no…RIP Bea Arthur. Thank you for being a friend 10:31 pm Apr 25th, 2009
RT @freakshowmikey LOST is the greatest television show of all time 2:03 am Apr 2nd, 2009
RT @JustinTruth: Any ideas for ridiculous titles for the FB movie? Winner thus far @dferrari I Got Poked (Inside Story of FB) #facebookmovie 8:00 pm Mar 31st, 2009
@FSBigBob A ninja with fish moobs 11:45 pm Mar 30th, 2009 in reply to Big_Bob
Thank you to @toby_is_cute for explaining to me Flo Rida really says Florida 11:52 am Mar 27th, 2009
RT @heidimontag: filming for the hills (Don’t you mean living your life???) 8:57 pm Mar 26th, 2009
Just called a news room and asked for Ken “Booty.” No wonder some PR people are so hated!! LOL 8:20 pm Mar 25th, 2009
I now have the Charles in Charge theme song stuck in my head thanks to @sbasista 1:38 pm Mar 4th, 2009
My mom just said “emu” instead of emo…LOL7:54 PM Feb 26th from TwitterBerry
This NEVER gets old – Superbowl montage http://bit.ly/FeOUS 4:00 PM Feb 27th from TweetDeck
And…from the “What was I thinking?” Files:
I’m gonna write a book called “Everybody Tweets.” Similar to “Everybody Poops” for those who don’t get Twitter yet 🙂 2:54 am Mar 30th, 2009